With the end of the year fast approaching, the holidays have also stopped by for a quick stay. But no matter what holiday you celebrate, we all have one thing in common: our personal data is at risk of cyber attacks, especially during the holiday season. The Carbon Black Threat Analysis Unit found that organizations should see a spike in cyber attacks beginning from the weekend of Black Friday; approximately a 57.5 percent increase was found from the 2017 holiday shopping season. The previous year (2016) saw a jump of 20.5 percent, with levels of elevations expected to stand strong throughout the holidays, lasting past the new year.
This is a time for festivities and joy. But if you aren’t keeping your business safe, then it’s going to be harder to enjoy this time of year. Make sure you know exactly what’s going on with the rise in cyber attacks and how to combat them this season, with safe practices and Cyber Insurance.
How to Keep Yourself Safe From an Attack
It’s the holidays. We know you can’t get away from shopping, but you can at least do it safely. Here are some other ways that you can protect yourself from cyber attacks, courtesy of Quick Heal Technologies:
- Change Your Passwords - Simple, easy, quick and effective. Don’t become complicit with your passwords. Always change them up and be proactive in changing them, especially before the start of the holiday season. Even if you’ve never changed your password and feel like you shouldn’t, you need to. It’s the most foolproof way of making sure that your data and assets are protected.
- Don’t Shop on Public Wi-Fi - A private connection is safer. A public connections means that anybody could be watching your every move. And in the end, it can come back and negatively impact you. Public Wi-Fi lacks the basic protections that a firewall generally has, meaning that attackers can access your information a lot easier. Avoid shopping on public Wi-Fi and you’ll avoid that problem of being watched.
- Devices Should Stay Updated - Don’t slack on your security when it matters most. By keeping your devices consistently up-to-date, you can keep your business safe from any possible cyber attacks. All computers, laptops, iPads and phones should be updated in order to deter from hackers. Make sure all of your software is ready to go.
- When Shopping Online, Check URLs - Don’t get tricked this holiday season. Always check your URLs before paying to make sure that they don’t seem off. If it’s a deal that’s too good to be true, don’t believe it.
- Monitor Your Bank Account and Statements - Be on the lookout for suspicious transactions. Diligently checking your bank account is the final note that will help keep your business safe from any future cyber attacks.
About Axis Insurance Services
At Axis Insurance Services, we aim to help our customers identify their exposures and protect themselves. Founded in 1999, we offer insurance programs to a wide variety of professionals and industries including attorneys, real estate, healthcare, architects, and more, and also have a wholesale division. We pride ourselves on offering flexible insurance coverage tailored specifically to each customer’s needs. To learn more about our solutions, contact us at (201) 847-9175 to speak with one of our professionals.